Peru Visa Info


In general citizens of the countries in the listing below do NOT have to apply for a visa at an embassy or consulate before entering Peru. A passport valid at least six months with at least 2 free pages in the visa section is enough to get a Tourist Visa (actually it’s only an entry stamp) directly at the border or the airport. Children should travel on their own passport with photo. Below listed countries can get a tourist visa at airport immigrations or any other Peruvian border without applying for it at an embassy or consulate:

  • North America: Citizens of the United States, Canada and Mexico
  • Central America: Citizens of most Central American countries (exception Costa Rica,
  • Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Nicaragua, Dominican Republic)
  • South America: Citizens of all South American countries
  • Europe: Citizens of all countries within the European Union and Switzerland
  • Africa: Citizens of South Africa
  • Asia: Citizens of Brunei, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore and Thailand
  • Oceania: Citizens of Australia and New Zealand

According to Peruvian law foreign visitors must have a return or onward ticket /passage when entering the country. While this law isn’t enforced by Peruvian immigrations, airlines often demand to see a return or onward ticket when checking in for a flight to Peru. If you can’t provide one, most airlines refuse boarding the plane. So in case you are planning to leave Peru for example by bus, check with the airline, if they accept a bus ticket or similar to avoid unpleasant surprises at the airport.

General Info

  • Travellers need a passport valid at least half a year with at least 2 free pages in the visa section when entering Peru.
  • The maximum stay in Peru on a tourist visa is 183 days (per year)
  • You can’t extent your tourist visa once you entered Peru
  • Peruvian tourist visa are single entry visa only
  • Like in most countries around the world you are not allowed to work on a tourist visa
  • In case you need to sign any important contracts (work contract, apartment purchase, sometimes even a marriage certificate…) you need a permission to sign contracts otherwise the papers aren’t legal. You can get this permit quite easily at the Immigration Office “Dirección General de Migraciones y Naturalizacion”, Av. España 734 in Breña.