High Season (Jun–Aug)
- Much of the region is cool and dry.
- Hotels in popular areas are full, many with high-season prices.
- Animal-spotting is easiest, as foliage is sparse and animals congregate around water sources.
Shoulder Season (Sep–Feb)
- An ideal travel time, with greener landscapes and fewer crowds.
- Peak-season prices from mid-December to mid-January.
- Short rains in October and November rarely interrupt travel.
Low Season (Mar–May)
- Heavy rains in much of the region make secondary roads muddy, some areas inaccessible and landscapes green.
- Some hotels close; others offer low-season discounts.